Sunday, 19 June 2011

Late Afternoon at the Grand River

Another trip to the Grand River with my camera and several less than impressive photo’s later and I managed to get something I could crop into submission to create a somewhat decent reference photo. 

The original picture:

Grand River

 
The cropped version:

Grand River, Cropped


And my final pastel painting. I changed the basic shapes of the shrubs to make them more abstract and simplified the trees so it was a little less busy. I also moved the shore line to make the line more interesting and musical.  Once happy with the layout, I sketched the landscape in with hard pastels/pencils then blocked in the basic masses, followed by the more time consuming details.  My materials included Faber-Castell Pastel Pencils, Nu-Pastels (hard), Unison and Terry Ludwig Soft Pastels on Wallis paper which has become my favorite pastel surface. 

Late Afternoon at the Grand River 12x18" Pastel on Sanded Paper



No comments:

Post a Comment