Saturday, 28 April 2012

Near the Rustic Woodlot

I find that the larger format works better for me even though it takes a good number of days to complete a pastel painting of this size (18x24”) and the subject occupies the room and allows for so much more detail. This painting is taken from another one of Johannes Vloothuis pictures which I have modified in small ways. I used a few more warm tones in the field and in the trees to make the painting a little more inviting especially since green trees are just so drab and a person can use too much green in their landscape painting, as I’ve been guilty of doing. I also wanted to make that lovely turquoise sky a little more energetic with a sense of movement indicting the presence of wind which is also apparent in those leaning, windblown trees.

Near the Rustic Woodlot, Pastel on Wallis Paper, 18x24"
I’m not really sure what or where the scene depicts; however, I choose it since it reminded me of the farmers’ fields around the country side here in Haldimand County and I also loved the old fence. Next time it will be time to paint a spilt rail fence, I don’t like too many indications of human presence in the landscape but there just seems to be something about old objects the lend a certain charm to a composition.

4 comments:

  1. Barbara. so soft, so beautiful. I would walk in this landscape.
    Lovely greet
    Marja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marja, good to hear that you find it inviting. I see problems that might have to be fixed and reposted sometime down the road.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful scene with lovely colours , it looks very inviting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that you like the colors and that it's inviting. I realized that I hadn't done many paintings that are depicting a landscape at the height of day, so guess it was time to do one.

      Delete